Saturday, July 7, 2012

industrial grace



"You want a picture of that ugly building?!" asked the old guy dismissively as he climbed into his car parked near to where I was standing to take my shot.
Without lowering my camera, I smiled at him and nodded yes. He didn't wait for an explanation.
If he had been really interested, I would have told him that I frequently sought out old industrial buildings particularly for their disheveled and dilapidated state - that I find a certain solemn aesthetic quality in their decrepitude and the worn integrity of the utilitarian materials used, and that often the cubistic massing of structural forms resulted in an overall unexpected architectural grace...blah, blah, blah...
And he would have laughed in my face and gone away wondering about my sanity - but without a second thought to that monumentally humble temple of industry again...




GRACE Canada, Inc.
460 Industrial Avenue

No comments:

Post a Comment